September 9, 2014
A heart stopping moment!
About an hour ago I heard this strange noise and got up to see what was going on. I pulled this out of Ella's (dog from yesterdays photo) mouth. I couldn't figure out what it was. The inside smelled of peanut butter. Then it hit me like a ton of bricks - it was a Raid ant bait/trap! My heart dropped - POISON! My wonderful, sweet, affectionate, loving Ella just ate poison! It was 1 am - the vet is closed... is she going to be OK?
Thank God for the internet! I found an online vet - paid 20 bucks and had to wait 15 minutes for my question to be answered. While waiting I started to dig on my own. I found out that for a small dog it would take several ant bait/traps to be ingested for it to cause any harm. The amount of poison is very small. Well Ella is not a small dog. She is 128 pounds! The largest threat is if she ingested the plastic. She may have gotten a few very small bits of plastic. The advice was to give her some bread so it would coat the plastic and hopefully protect her from any sharp edges as it passes through her system.
I started to feel better. Then I got the answer from the online vet and it was the same as what I had just read on my own . I just need to watch her but more than likely she will be fine. I however have at least a dozen more grey hairs!
To some people dogs are just that - dogs. They are pets. To me and my family -our dogs are our not so small furry children that we love with our entire hearts. They are 100% huge walking furry, slobbery messy sources of unconditional love. I wouldn't trade any thing - any vacation - any amount of money in the world for them. They own a huge part of my heart.